Each Saturday since I got my sewing machine in June, I have watched some sewing shows on ThinkTV, then I work on improving some particular machine skill. I've made a few different kinds of bags, some patterned quilt squares, coasters, and this weekend I made this—thing for my table. Without the leaf it's round, so I didn't want a table runner.
I put together pieces from two fat quarters, two pairs of shorts and a sheet from St. Vincent de Paul, and a remnant from a previous project, without strict measurement. I just made sure everything was around three inches wide when I began. Then I sewed it to a piece of muslin, added a layer of batting and quilted it to more sheet, which I then folded over to the front for a border.
The quilted areas are not as good as I'd like but using the zigzag was kind of a risk. I feel good about how I did the border.
This looks kind of disconnected and bleak! I'll pay attention next time and set a scene. Anyway. Sometimes I have a vase or a bowl of garden produce or fruit on the table, and it can sit on the mat now.