Here are some rediscoveries and a couple new loves of this past year.
- Simply Irresistible by Robert Palmer. Here's the video.
- The Onion: I started reading The Onion about ten years ago, and then I got a great book of theirs called Our Dumb Century, but then sort of forgot about the website after this one remodel they did which annoyed me. I started reading it again this year, and got another enjoyable book, called Dispatches from the Tenth Circle.
- Pente: We've had this game for years, but just started playing it again recently. We also have Go, but that is more complicated, and we haven't gotten into it yet. You can play Pente online here.
- Bloody Marys: This recipe has the right ingredients, but you have to adjust the proportions to your own liking. I use lime, and Goya hot sauce instead of Tabasco. And I wouldn't let the drink sit in ice to cool, because that would water it down. Just strain it over fresh ice in a glass.
- Mixtapes (but with mp3 cds, of course) I've made 4 or 5 for some online friends this year, and some for my kids, and I'd forgotten how cool it is to get really involved in the process of creating the perfect playlist.
- Dear Prudence by Siouxsie and the Banshees and here's another by them, just as a bonus. It's a better video, as those go.
- Straight Leg Jeans: The tag on the ones I got says slouch skinny 504, but when I looked that up, I only saw plus sizes. They look just like this pair, though. I really like the slouch thing, because you get low rise without all the low rise problems. I would like another pair.
- Stand-up Comedy: we were so so into stand-up at the beginning of the 90s, I think we overdosed on it, watching it practically every night on A&E. But now I love it again, and have learned to appreciate all the old comics I never really understood when I was a child. And yeah, it's good clean fun, but not impossibly good and clean. It's just not specifically vulgar, and most of it's not very negative. XM has an adult comedy channel, but I don't find it as funny. That one tends to be specifically vulgar and kind of negative.